Call for Nominations to the Board of the ECMS
The Board of the Edmonton Chamber Music Society (ECMS) is seeking five Board members: individuals are interested in working in a consensus-driven organization dedicated to offering making possible fine chamber music performances to the capital region.
The Positions and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the overall functioning of the Society and leading special initiatives undertaken by the Board
- Chairing meetings of the Society in the absence of the President and leading working groups or subcommittees as needed
- Coordinating the other members of the Executive Committee in the carrying out of their responsibilities
- Assisting with the representation of the Society in dealings with fund granting bodies, government and other groups with whom the society has relationships
- Serving on the Nominating Committee of the Society
- Identifying opportunities for improving the financial well-being of the Society
- Providing linkages and relationships with the business, educational sectors, the music community and individuals that benefit from or have a stake in offering fine classical music in Edmonton
- Designing methods for fundraising, organizing events, and arranging or providing the training for the Board and volunteers to assist with these initiatives
Secretary (shared position)
- Recording proceedings of Board meetings, record keeping
- Maintaining the organization’s Policies and Procedures Manual
- Organizing and maintaining organization of a Dropbox site of reports and documents used by Board members
Director: Organizational Development
- Supporting and coordinating initiatives that further understanding of chamber music; building support for the work of the ECMS
- Contributing to better understanding of the current and potential audience, their preferences through research, surveys, and special events
- Identifying how to enhance audience relations and implementing approaches to address the organization’s strategic objectives
- Developing role statements for volunteer positions
- Assisting with orientation and training
- Interviewing prospective volunteers and making suggestions as to positions
- Organizing an annual Volunteer Appreciation event
We have a process that allows you to assess whether this organization and the Board is a good fit for you. The Board is both governance and operational and requires a commitment to monthly meetings as well as work between meetings.
The governing Board is the legal entity and authority for governance of the Edmonton Chamber Music Society. Each Board member is responsible for considering and deciding upon all matters of Policy, Programs, and Expenditures.
To move forward, the ECMS needs a sound analytical foundation, combined with capacity for innovation and new initiatives. If you have skills, interest and dedication to contribute to the mission of ECMS or know someone who would be an asset to the Board, we want to hear from you!
The Edmonton Chamber Music Society Nominating Committee, consisting of at least two members of the Executive or another person(s) as the Executive may determine, is responsible for presenting a slate of Officers to the Board to ensure the Society is governed with vision and excellence.
The Board has begun the process of seeking nominations for 2016/18 via this notice.
This notice enables members to supply, in writing, names to the Nominating Committee for consideration for nomination to the Board.
Board of Directors Eligibility
Any subscriber to the Edmonton Chamber Music Society season (either 2015/16 or 2016/17) or any person who has volunteered for the Society during the past 12 months is eligible to:
- Nominate a person to the Board
- Stand for nomination at the Annual General Meeting which will take place:
Wednesday, September 21, 2016 | 6:30 PM
Jasper Place Public Library 9010 – 156 St. | Edmonton, AB
Members of the Board collectively exercise full authority over all aspects of the Society's operations. Board members are expected to be informed on ECMS matters, to be familiar with the Bylaws and Policies, to contribute to debates on issues, to make judgments on matters as they arise, and to accept their portion of the Board's collective responsibility for Society affairs.
The Nomination Committee is seeking individuals who:
- Have the ability to serve for a minimum of two (2) years and a maximum of four (4) years or until their successors are elected and installed;
- Are comfortable with setting policy and establishing strategic direction;
- Contribute reasoned opinion and accept and support decisions reached by the Board;
- Are able to commit the time and resources to serve on the Board and committees, and represent the ECMS as requested
All nominees will be interviewed and screened by the Nomination Committee prior to recommending the nominees for office at the Annual General Meeting [Wed., Sept. 21, 2016 at Jasper Place Public Library 9010 – 156 St. | Edmonton, AB].
Individuals interested in serving on the Board may provide a summary of their professional and volunteer qualifications and/or arrange to speak with a Board member.
Members are advised that nominations shall be submitted via email to the President and Chair of the Nomination Committee by the close of business September 8, 2016. Please include a summary of nominee's qualifications (professional and volunteer background).
For further information:
Karen Fingas | President, ECMS