The Edmonton Chamber Music Society (ECMS), a well-established volunteer-run community organization, has an opportunity for skilled, committed volunteers to serve on various working groups and the Board of Directors.
For over 60 years ECMS has been bringing internationally renowned chamber musicians to Edmonton. Serving thousands of appreciative audience members, our concert seasons offer a range of programming from early music to contemporary works performed by instrumental and vocal soloists, small chamber orchestras and traditional string quartets. Since 2008 ECMS has also successfully produced a Summer Solstice Music Festival in June of each year, bringing chamber musicians together for a diverse array of concerts, master classes and outreach events.
ECMS allows you to put current skills to work or learn new ones by actively contributing to one of our teams. Specific needs at this time include:
- Pickup and delivery of materials (often on concert afternoons and evenings)
- Business, accounting, and/or financial management background to participate on the finance committee. This may include assisting with financial planning, budgeting and strategizing, as well as monitoring the financial health of the organization.
- Facilitation skills to design and conduct focus groups
- Design and analysis of electronic surveys
- Reviewing, researching, preparing and updating Board policies and procedures
- Preparing and documenting an Orientation manual for Board and volunteers
- Fostering community collaborations and sponsorships
- Researching alternatives and approaches and preparing materials for the policy and procedures for the organization on Board governance topics such as Code of Ethics and evaluation processes for Board members
Our Board members act in both a governance and a working capacity. The Board holds approximately 10 evening meetings and one strategic planning session per year. Some roles require knowledge of classical music. For others, enthusiasm, an ability to organize various tasks, and to learn and contribute to a dynamic, consensus-driven organization are more important.
You will apply and expand your business and community connections and knowledge of fundraising in the not-for-profit sector to help the organization establish a reliable base of financial support for the unique role that ECMS plays in Edmonton’s cultural community. This is a chance to initiate new strategies and build a long-term approach to fundraising.
The Director of Development is responsible for:
- Identifying opportunities for improving the financial support for the Society from private donors;
- Contributing to community liaison by providing linkages and building relationships with the business and educational sectors, the music community and individuals that benefit from or have a stake in having the finest classical music performed in Edmonton;
- Providing leadership for the design and implementation of a fundraising strategy;
- Identifying and facilitating support to the Board members to develop the necessary skills to understand their role and participate in fundraising initiatives;
- Working with a team of Board members and volunteers to contribute to the design and execution of a fundraising strategy: establishing goals, target setting, planning methods, monitoring progress, sponsor and donor recognition;
- Providing advice to the Board for assessing methods and targets for annual donations, and taking leadership in engaging members, the Board and volunteers in attaining the goals.
The Director of Operations is responsible for:
- Overseeing concert operations on concert nights
- Assessing, modifying existing or developing new ways that ECMS interacts with patrons (patron services); for example, (box office, concert night sales of beverages, seating) to ensure ECMS is responsive to changing trends in audience preferences
- Coordinating a team of volunteers who support concert and patron services, including orienting new volunteers to concert operations
- Documenting processes and assisting with the introduction of new procedures to volunteers and the Board
Interested? Please contact me to discuss options.
Karen Fingas | ECMS President | firstname.lastname@example.org