Casino | Working Groups | Board Members | Directors: Development, Operations, Publicity, Communications | Volunteer Coordinator
The Edmonton Chamber Music Society (ECMS), a well-established volunteer-run community organization, has an opportunity for skilled, committed volunteers to serve on various working groups and the Board of Directors.
For over 60 years ECMS has been bringing internationally renowned chamber musicians to Edmonton. Serving thousands of appreciative audience members, our concert seasons offer a range of programming from early music to contemporary works performed by instrumental and vocal soloists, small chamber orchestras and traditional string quartets. Since 2008 ECMS has also successfully produced a Summer Solstice Music Festival in June of each year, bringing chamber musicians together for a diverse array of concerts, master classes and outreach events.
Please volunteer for the upcoming Edmonton Chamber Music Society Casino!
Saturday November 11, 2017
Sunday, November 12, 2017
Casino Edmonton | 7055 Argyll Rd. NW [map]
Casino funds are essential to maintain the exceptional quality of the ECMS concert season and Summer Solstice Music Festival. Our exciting 2017/2018 season features outstanding musicians from Canada, the United States and Europe. It is expensive to bring these internationally acclaimed artists to Edmonton while keeping ticket prices reasonable. We therefore ask for your help in volunteering for the casino.
Volunteers are needed for the positions of Bankers, Cashiers, Chip Runners, and Count Room Workers, and for both daytime and evening shifts. No experience is required for any of the positions; training and support will be provided.
We provide a complimentary meal in the Casino restaurant for all volunteers. Those working long shifts (longer than 8 hours) will be entitled to 2 complimentary meals per shift. (Meals purchased outside the Casino will not be reimbursed.) Snacks are also provided in the volunteer lounge throughout all shifts.
Volunteers who are unable to drive or who prefer not to drive during the late hours may have taxi fare reimbursed. Keep your receipts and submit them to Kathy Carter after the Casino.
More information concerning the various positions and casino requirements is available at the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission website.
How to Volunteer:
- Print and fill out an ECMS Casino Volunteer Form, indicating which shifts you are available. Please be as flexible as possible to allow us to assign volunteers to all the shifts.
- If you are volunteering to be a banker or a cashier, or are willing to fill any position, please also fill out the AGCL Volunteer Worker Application Form.
- Please return both completed forms to Kathy Carter as indicated on the Casino Volunteer form. Kathy will contact you to confirm your shift and to provide further information about the casino.
For more info on volunteering for the casino: Kathy Carter: email@example.com
ECMS allows you to put current skills to work or learn new ones by actively contributing to one of our teams. Specific needs at this time include:
- Pickup and delivery of materials (often on concert afternoons and evenings)
- Business, accounting, and/or financial management background to participate on the finance committee. This may include assisting with financial planning, budgeting and strategizing, as well as monitoring the financial health of the organization.
- Facilitation skills to design and conduct focus groups
- Design and analysis of electronic surveys
- Reviewing, researching, preparing and updating Board policies and procedures
- Preparing and documenting an Orientation manual for Board and volunteers
- Fostering community collaborations and sponsorships
- Researching alternatives and approaches and preparing materials for the policy and procedures for the organization on Board governance topics such as Code of Ethics and evaluation processes for Board members
Our Board members act in both a governance and a working capacity. The Board holds approximately 10 evening meetings and one strategic planning session per year. Some roles require knowledge of classical music. For others, enthusiasm, an ability to organize various tasks, and to learn and contribute to a dynamic, consensus-driven organization are more important.
You will apply and expand your business and community connections and knowledge of fundraising in the not-for-profit sector to help the organization establish a reliable base of financial support for the unique role that ECMS plays in Edmonton’s cultural community. This is a chance to initiate new strategies and build a long-term approach to fundraising.
The Director of Development is responsible for:
- Identifying opportunities for improving the financial support for the Society from private donors;
- Contributing to community liaison by providing linkages and building relationships with the business and educational sectors, the music community and individuals that benefit from or have a stake in having the finest classical music performed in Edmonton;
- Providing leadership for the design and implementation of a fundraising strategy;
- Identifying and facilitating support to the Board members to develop the necessary skills to understand their role and participate in fundraising initiatives;
- Working with a team of Board members and volunteers to contribute to the design and execution of a fundraising strategy: establishing goals, target setting, planning methods, monitoring progress, sponsor and donor recognition;
- Providing advice to the Board for assessing methods and targets for annual donations, and taking leadership in engaging members, the Board and volunteers in attaining the goals.
The Director of Operations is responsible for:
- Overseeing concert operations on concert nights
- Assessing, modifying existing or developing new ways that ECMS interacts with patrons (patron services); for example, (box office, concert night sales of beverages, seating) to ensure ECMS is responsive to changing trends in audience preferences
- Coordinating a team of volunteers who support concert and patron services, including orienting new volunteers to concert operations
- Documenting processes and assisting with the introduction of new procedures to volunteers and the Board
Director: Publicity and Director: Communications
These two Board members together will share responsibilities for leading and coordinating marketing, publicity, newsletters for subscribers, preparation and distributing audience publications (concert programs, newsletters, season and festival brochures, social media presence and promotion and the ECMS website).
You will be assisted by volunteers and contractors with excellent skills in editing, social media promotion and publicity, visual design, website management, electronic communications, and media relations.
This role supports the overall functioning of the organization by helping to recruit, orient, support and retain volunteers. Since the work of the Society is conducted almost exclusively by volunteers, all new initiatives require the involvement of people who can contribute their time and talents to a range of activities.
The Volunteer Coordinator is a member of the Board of the Society, will be assisted in the various tasks and responsibilities by volunteers, contractors and other Board members, and will receive orientation and ongoing support from various Board members.
The role will suit someone who likes to work with people, understands the diversity of skills and abililites that potential volunteers offer, and is a strong communicator. The role requires organizational and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of chamber music is not required.
Board meetings are two hours in length and are held approximately 10 times per year. A special planning and development day-long session for the Board may be held throughout the year. The position entails time communicating with existing and potential volunteers and other Board members and organizing the needed resources for new initiatives.
An average of about 10 hours minimum per month is anticipated; time commitments will vary depending upon time of year, new initiatives and special events.
Interested? Please contact me to discuss options.
Karen Fingas | ECMS President | firstname.lastname@example.org