Annual General Meeting
Thursday, October 24, 2019
University of Alberta Faculty Club
11435 Saskatchewan Dr. NW Edmonton, AB [directions]
As a Member of the Edmonton Chamber Music Society, you are invited to attend the Annual General Meeting to hear what your Board has been doing this past year and to vote on the slate of officers.
Members are individuals who have:
- Subscribed to the 2018/19 season
- Subscribed to the 2019/20 season, or
- Volunteered for ECMS in the past 12 months
All members are eligible to stand for nomination for the Board of Directors and to vote for the proposed slate of officers at the AGM.
If you are interested in standing for any of the below Board positions, we would like to hear from you. The Board positions include:
- Director of Publicity
- Director of Concert Night
- Director of Volunteers and Human Resources
- Director of Policy Development
- Director of Patron Services
In order to nominate someone to the board, a member must obtain that individual's consent to stand for office, then have another person second the nomination at the AGM.
A member who wishes to stand for office will require two other members to support the nomination: one to make the nomination, and another to second the nomination.
We will also accept nominations from the floor on the evening of the AGM.
New Board members would commence the term following the AGM. ECMS has a six-month trial period during which a new member and the Board jointly assess whether there is a match between the organization’s needs and the skills and interests of the new member.
Interested? Please contact me to discuss options.
Don Morrish | ECMS President | President@edmontonchambermusic.org
Notice of Special Resolution to Amend the Bylaws
A review of the bylaws was undertaken after the Board attended a Board Development Workshop in 2017. The Board saw a need to clarify the roles and responsibilities of its members and to update its policies and procedures to assure the sustainable and effective operation of the Society. We realized our bylaws had not been reviewed in many years and wanted to ensure they met both current regulatory requirements for non-profit organizations and the current governance and operational needs of the Society.
We limited our review to where we needed to clarify our policies and/or address things that were out of date. We had assistance from an advisor at the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations, which gives us confidence in our proposed changes.
Many changes are minor clarifications or updates such as allowing Board members to attend meetings via electronic means. Other changes are:
- In the current bylaws, the governing body is an Executive Committee. Since it acts as a Board, and everyone usually refers to it as a Board, we decided to call it a Board in the bylaws. This is mainly a change in terminology and should have no effect on the way the Society operates.
- Strengthening financial procedures: for example, by requiring two signing officers for all payments and clarifying audit requirements.
- Allowing the Board to appoint additional members to the Board between Annual General Meetings provided they are nominated, stand for office, and are elected at the next AGM.
- Explicitly stating that all members may attend all meetings and may put their names forward for election to the Board.
Thank you to our sponsors:
Please note that all concerts are subject to change without notice.